Sunday, October 17, 2010

Awkward Views

I am very nervous for this test tomorrow on the skulls.  I have been thinking about it all weekend and trying to work out how I'm going to draw every view from memory, like what method I want to use to map out the skull and working out where the major points of the structure that I would need to draw out and how to find them from a framework such as the sphere and block technique.  After this I plan to draw a few sketches in my sketchbook to practice.  I think the 3/4 front will be the most difficult for me because of all the separate plane changes with the facial features while the back might be the easiest for because the plane changes are more subtle and may be a lot easier to define.

bottom 3/4 back
On Wednesday this past week we worked on unconventional views of the skull and they were very difficult for me to wrap my head around (no pun intended), but I think the main focus of the exercise was for us to rely not on merely what we saw, but using one of the techniques we have learned to find the structure first and then look at what we saw to find the rest.  I tried my best to look as little as possible at the skulls themselves and tried to draw from memory.  I did not do as bad as I thought I would have, but there were some parts (like the cheek bone and upper/lower jaw) that I had a lot of trouble figuring out and had to look frequently at the skulls and got some help on them as well.  The other thing I had some trouble with was remembering that the cranium is egg shaped.  With awkward views such as these, it was sometimes difficult to see that, so you would have to do your best to draw it that way.  I think I redrew the cranium fifty times on my 3/4 back and tilted view (which I included here)!
3/4 back tilted

Good luck to everyone on their tests tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment